Sunday, August 14, 2011

In Spanish

So Aubree may be a little confused about the concept of speaking Spanish, but she makes me laugh, so I hope it continues for awhile.

Aubree: These scrambled eggs are tasty.
Me: Tasty, huh?
Aubree: Yes, "tasty" that's Spanish for "yummy."

*************************************
If you haven't seen the Princess Bride, you might not get this, but sometimes Aubree and I borrow the way that Buttercup and Wesley say "I love you" by using the phrase "As you wish." We call it our little code. I know, we're weird. So tonight it went kind of like this:

Me: Goodnight, Aubree, I love you.
Aubree: (to me) Goodnight, I love you. As you wish... (to Chris)... "as you wish" is Spanish for "I love you."

*************************************
At lunch the other day I was unsuccessfully trying to convince Aubree to eat the tomatoes from my salad,

Me: Hey, Aubree, would you like to try one of my tomatoes?
Aubree: No, I do not want your "tomatokaleena, waleeena, maleenas" (cracking herself up) "kaleena, waleena, maleena" ... that's how you say "tomato" in Spanish...(long pause) Oh, and sometimes it means "strawberry."

*************************************

Me: Hey, Aubree did you know that Mommy used to teach Spanish?
Aubree: How did you teach it? Like this? Meeegle, weegle, sheegle, dillly, woowz" (walks off cracking up and muttering to Doc in "Spanish.")
************************************
Occasionally, when I use a big word that she doesn't know, she asks me if it's Spanish.

CHRIS WOULD LIKE FOR ME TO MENTION.... that she also is using some real Spanish, although she may not know the difference. She says, arriba, abajo, abre, gracias, and all of her colors and numbers 1-10 and a smattering of other words.

Thank you, Dora with a little help from Mommy, who made up the color song.

No comments: