Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Being Mommy

Last night a little sleepy girl was looking up at me contently with her big brown eyes. She was relaxed and absently playing with my hands, and I could tell that we were both in the same zone, listening to some good music and enjoying each other. In my spirit I felt, "Wow, this is maybe one of the best moments of my life."

Then I thought back to an hour before. I was dealing with the aftermath of her decision to "drop the kids off at the pool" while taking her bath, she was wailing at the top of her lungs because I had left her in her crib, and I was dealing with her little "incident." I was frazzled and thinking, "Wow, this is maybe one of the most frustrating moments of my life." The rollercoaster of emotions I could encounter within the period of a couple short hours was incredible.

I guess this is a kind a microcosmic snapshot of a day in the life of Mommy, the day-to-day frustrations erased by a little eye contact and the overwhelming love of mother for child. It makes me look at the big picture and think I finally get the pure, unconditional love of God. I'm sure I can be every bit as frustrating to him, and I know I make a mess of things, but He still enjoys me and loves me with a depth that I cannot even fathom. It makes me want to fix some content brown eyes on Him knowing that He can love me even better than I love my little kiddo, which is pretty intense. It makes me want to find that moment either in a song or just in some quiet time to let him wrap me up in His arms and give me peace.

It's kind of amazing what you can learn being Mommy.

2 comments:

Chris said...

What, no pictures? :)

Mama Maurer said...

Never satisfied! :-)